Friday, November 20, 2009

Modest Mouse Review (I've got more gigs of music than you do)

We all like to call ourselves music lovers, to believe that we have an ear for that gem of a song. But how do you distinguish really, are you a true connoisseur? Or a simpleton-just one of the masses? I like to think that I am one of the lucky few who not only possesses the palate for not one but several forms of art. One could say that I am roughly two to two-and- a-half times more cultured than you are. Generally if someone thinks they know more about anything than me, I can simply demonstrate my knowledge by spouting endless trivia, demonstrating my intelligence. I once found out that Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz sync up perfectly with each other.

So now that we've established my credentials, I'd like to talk about an extremely obscure indie band that I found and thus would like to take credit for any music they have ever made. I am talking about a group known as Modest Mouse. Hailing from an obscure suburb of Seattle (my home town) Modest Mouse captured the sound of Seattle I would say better than anyone since that band with the one guy who killed himself a while ago.

Anyways this band is pretty good I guess, but the fact that only an elite few of music aficionados bother to listen, the indicator that you're onto something special. The experience of listening to such independent music is sublime (Sublime is another relatively obscure band that I found, that's why I put the word sublime in this thread, so that I could demonstrate to you that not only do I know of obscure music but maybe if you've heard of them before, than you know i have really good taste in music. two birds with one stone kinda thing).

When you find a band like this that nobody has ever really heard of, not only do you get to show off, but you can identify with the other select individuals. I personally identify with and look up to a previously obscure actor Zach Braff. Before writing and directing one of the most independent and influential films in recent history, the young Braff lent his hand in the creation and production of a pretty obscure television series know as Scurbs. The afore mentioned film happens to be known as Garden State. This film is for me not only an amazing story, but also a fantastic way to showcase a little known band called The Shins. However I am sorry to say my friends that I am in fact a bit envious of Mr. Braff. You see he was able to spread his knowledge of an unknown band with the entire world, something us regular old bloggers only dream of.

As I sit in my local, fair trade, coffee shop, Starbucks Coffee Co. typing on my apple laptop I'd like to say, fuck-off, to all the over jealous jerks that have problems with people like me and Zach Braff. Just because you are willing to stand up for you and your ignorant friends and say "You are a stinky festering pussy, nobody cares what indie rock you listen to, or how much music in you're iTunes library. Just shut your fucking mouth... now,"... doesn't mean that one of us won't stand up for ourselves. You're just cranky because you're jealous of my American Apparel hoody.

I thought that song Float On was really great!

1 comment: